Things To Know Before Installing A Loft Hatch
At Trade Access Panels we are often asked questions regarding the measurement and installation a Loft Hatch within a domestic property. Thankfully, the new TAP12 Loft Hatch is even easier to fit than previously! Please see our guide below where we have tried to answer the most frequently asked questions.
1. What size of Loft Hatch is required?
A good starting point is to work out the size of loft hatch you require so that we can manufacture you a Hatch to suit. Ideally, we need to know the structural opening size (hole in the ceiling) with the existing hatch (if any) removed. We will then make the metal frame of the hatch 7mm smaller to ensure that it will fit neatly and easily into this hole.
We would also suggest that you install a Loft Hatch which is as large as possible to make is as easy as possible for you when trying to store your luggage, old children’s toys, Christmas decorations and other bulky items within your loft. Additionally, if you are going to be installing one of our Loft Hatch with Ladder options or a separate Loft Ladder, then you need to ensure that there is enough room to accommodate the Loft Ladder, both within the hole and also within the loft space itself.
2. Will my new Loft Hatch be insulated?
As standard, all Loft Hatches are insulated. We are currently using 50mm polystyrene insulation for the non-fire rated Loft Hatches. The Fire rated loft hatch option comes with a metal backing to the plate on the door and rockwool insulation (please note that this does make the door approx. 5kg heavier than the non-fire rated option).
3. How can I Order my new Loft Hatch?
We have made it even easier for you and you can now order most sizes of Loft Hatch online via our website. Alternatively, you can of course either telephone or email our sales team to discuss your requirements and order.
4. Can I have an Air Tight Loft Hatch?
We can make Air Tight Loft Hatches however these are more costly than the standard insulated Loft Hatches which are supplied with draught seals on all four sides as standard. Our air tight Loft Hatches have an Airtight Rating tested in accordance with EN 1634-3:2004 & BS 5368: Part 1: 1976
5. Can I have a Plasterboard Door Loft Hatch?
Unfortunately, we do not provide Plasterboard Door Loft Hatches as we find that over time the plaster can crack and become unsightly. We can however offer a dust primed option which can be painted when installed each time you paint the ceiling to match. This could be provided with either a Beaded or Picture frame.
6. Do you make Fire rated Loft Hatches?
We do. We can provide both Fire and Non-Fire rated options.
7. Can I have a Plastic Loft Hatch?
We do not offer a Plastic Loft Hatch option.
8. How long will it take from me to receive my Loft Hatch?
The lead-time for Loft Hatches is in the region of 4-6 working days from receipt of Order. If you go with the Loft Hatch with Ladder option then this is increased to 7-10 working days from receipt of Order.
9. I don’t really like the look of the bungs issued by other suppliers. Are there any other options available?
We can offer many lock options however as standard, all Fire Rated Loft Hatches would be supplied with a 3-Way Lock and none-Fire Rated Loft Hatches would be supplied with Budget Lock unless over a certain size. We no longer send our Loft Hatches with a bung; instead we send with a collar so that the hole is visible making it much easier for you to use the Tee-Key to open/close the hatch without needing to remove the bung each time. We can also provide alternative lock options if required including tamper proof, anti-ligature and key locks.
10. How do I install my new Loft Hatch into an existing hole in my ceiling, or replace an existing Loft Hatch?
Please note that prefabricated roof trusses must NOT be cut without consulting a structural engineers as every element of the roof will have been carefully calculated.
- Make sure the structural opening is at least 7mm larger than the panel size, back of frame size. E.G a 600x600mm panel size requires a 607x607mm hole size. Remove the door from the frame and place the frame into the set hole.
- Fix through the appropriate fixing holes within the frame ensuring the frame is pushed up against the structural opening surround. Check the frame is square by measuring corner to corner.
- Refit door and lock in place; the door and frame should be flush. Independent bracing or support may be required to take the weight of the Loft Hatch.
- You can then secure/close the door using the Tee-Key provided.
If you decided to go with a Beaded Frame as opposed to a Picture Frame option, then you will need to skim/plaster the frame when plastering your ceiling, but if the Picture Frame option was chosen then no plastering work is required.
Voila, you have completed the installation of your new Loft Hatch! Sit back and enjoy your new slimline Loft Hatch!
11. What Guarantee or Warranty will my Loft Hatch be covered by?
As standard, the Loft Hatch would come with a 10 year guarantee.
12. How long will it take to install my Loft Hatch?
This is a tricky one for us to answer and is dependent upon your capabilities and experience. On average, we would say in the region of 30-60 mins.
13. What will me new Loft Hatch Weigh?
The weight of the Loft Hatch will be dependent upon the size. The larger the size, the heavier the hatch. Also, if the Hatch is Fire Rated then the insulation within the door will be covered by a metal backing. This will also add to the weight of the Loft Hatch. As a guide, the weight is in the region of 13-18kg.
14. How do I open/close my Loft Hatch?
As standard, the Loft Hatch is supplied with a Metal Tee-Key (approx. 100mm in length). We can also provide an extended Tee-Key 500mm if required. We can make this longer/shorter if required, just let us know.
15. When the door opens, will it swing and cause injury?
If the door is large, we would supply the Loft Hatch with Safety Wires as standard. If it is to be very heavy then would suggest dampers be fitted however this can be a costly option.
16. Will it be a Two-Person job to install my new Loft Hatch?
This is a difficult one for us to answer and again is dependent upon the capabilities of the person on site. We would suggest that it is helpful for someone to assist when securing the door to the frame.
17. How deep is the Frame of the loft hatch ?
The Loft hatch is 80mm deep
18. Can I have a larger or smaller picture frame
Yes, we can make the picture frame as wide as 100mm or as little as no picture frame at all; we can even make the picture frame different measurements on all 4 sides
19. What colour is the loft hatch
The standard colour is RAL9010 White, however we can powder coat the Loft Hatch in almost any RAL colour required. Alternatively we can offer in a dust primed option ready for on site decoration which enables you to paint the Loft Hatch the same colour as your ceiling.
20. What is the u value of our Loft Hatches?
This Product achieves a U Value of 0.760 W/m2K.